About Me

My photo
I am a dancer and holistic therapist with a passion for textiles,colours and embellishments. I've always dabbled in crafts but my voyage into costuming through my obsession with Tribal belly dance has really made me burst with ideas. This blog is to help me gather all my woolly wanderings into one place and also to record my crafty doings.

Tuesday 9 October 2012

Tuesday Inspirations

To keep me focused I've decided to post a new picture to my Inspirations page every Tuesday.

This week I was going through some pictures from my recent stay in Cornwall and found a picture I'd taken of Kelley's floor runner. I think she said it had come from Uzbekistan. The picture below is another example I found online.

Another gorgeous example of a Shyrdak

It is made of carded roving which is laid out in geometric patterns between two pieces of canvas. This is then felted by kicking the canvas roll up and down or dragging it behind a horse. The design is then embroidered for extra strength. This type of carpet is known as a Shyrdak and is made by the nomadic tribes of Central Asia who live in white felt yurts.


 The Shyrdaks are used as wall and floor coverings to further insulate the yurt from the harsh Steppe Winters.

I'd love to make a small scale piece like this. Hmmm anyone got a horse?

No comments:

Post a Comment